Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Matchmaker! Matchmaker!

This week we have launched our Fireproof small groups based on the movie by the same title. The response has been good with many of our members and some from the community getting involved in the Fireproof Your Marriage and Fireproof Your Life small groups. Lucy and I are excited about the group we've been assigned to. There are four couples in our group - one couple has young grade school children, another couple has a young and older grade school child, one couple had teenagers and small kids, while Lucy and I have married children. From the experiences of our first session together, we can tell that this is going to be an exciting adventure for all eight of us.

The opening icebreaker still lingers in my mind. We were asked about how we met as a couple. One couple met in college while being involved in the same Christian campus organization. The other three couples met through the help of a third party. A friend was instrumental in one couple meeting each other. The mom of one of the young ladies in our group was a key link in her and her future husband meeting. And with Lucy and me it was also close friends that initiated our connection.

I've often wondered how in the world I, a midshipman at Annapolis Maryland, could have ever met a gal from Snow Camp, NC attending High Point College were it not for the help of others [I mean the first time I drove to Lucy's home, it was so far out in the country that I thought we'd left the country]. We were worlds apart and yet through my best friend and her roommate, who were dating at the time [later to marry], Lucy Hill and I were connected to each other. For the rest of our lives we will be grateful to how God used them to lay the foundation of what eventually developed into a wonderful relationship and marriage.

Since our first small group gathering I've given a lot of thought to the idea of how those third parties have been key in our marriages. Without their involvement we may not be married to the one who means everything to us - I know that would probably be the case in my life. Wow, what a tragedy that would be, for next to Jesus, Lucy is the most important part of my life. We'd still be worlds apart if it wasn't for somebody bridging those two worlds and being a springboard to our connection. Though our friends didn't set out to be matchmakers, they were serious enough to make the effort to bring us together.

SO - the thought comes - Do you think we could be instrumental in connecting Jesus with His next marriage partner? Do you think we could be involved in connecting two people [Jesus and one of our friends/relatives/associates] who are worlds apart with each other? As I said, I'm continually grateful to our friends for connecting us as a couple. And I will be eternally grateful to the ones involved in leading me into my connection with Jesus. That's a marriage that will last into eternity.

Earthly marriages - are any of them marriages made in heaven? That's a question that probably could stir a good bit of debate. But I am sure that my marriage with Jesus is definitely a marriage made in heaven! And wouldn't it be exciting if we could arrange a few more of those kinds of marriages?

One definition of matchmaker is "one who habitually tries to arrange marriages". I believe our Lord is looking for more Heavenly Matchmakers. Do you think you and I can make the connections?
--Pastor Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment